With about a month left to go in the season, the American League MVP race is heating up. The advanced metrics say it's a virtual tie between Mike Trout and Josh Donaldson at this point. Craig Goldstein of Baseball Prospectus joins the podcast to tell us who he would vote for right now, and what metrics he's using to settle the debate.
We also talk about whether the New York Yankees should panic, and if the Rangers actually have a legitimate chance at a wild card spot.
Molly Knight, author of "The Best Team Money Can Buy," then joins the podcast to talk about her book. Want to know more about Clayton Kershaw, Yasiel Puig and Zack Greinke? This is the interview for you. Molly also discusses whether the Dodgers have what it takes to make a postseason run.
Here's the full rundown of this week's show:
• Mike Trout of Josh Donaldson?
• Can the Yankees hold off Toronto? Are the Rangers for real?
• Let's talk about prospects.
• Molly Knight discusses "The Best Team Money Can Buy."
• Let's hear some stories about Yasiel Puig and Zack Greinke.
• What were some of the challenges writing the book?
• Are the Dodgers going to survive the last month of the season?
• Craig gets asked the most important question yet.
[Music: The Smiths - "Panic," Spoon - "Rent I Pay," Vampire Weekend - "Don't Lie," Wilco - "Heavy Metal Drummer" ]